Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Getting a bigger sump pump

On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 08:17:28 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 7/25/2014 3:00 AM, Bob F wrote:
micky wrote:
**It just caused wet boxes (cardboard cartons) in the laundry room,
for the nth time, and I don't even do anything anymore when this
happens, but I would still like to have eveything working "right".

Add an additional pump to what you have.

Maybe I will.

Sad to hear about the wet cardboard. That takes a
LOT of dehumidifier action to remove the water.

I just let it sit there. No dehumidifier, no mold. I think at least
13 times.

Please give serious look to a second drain tube,
of much larger pipe. Check valve, and so on.

Well the check valve on the sump pump only matters when the pump turns
off. The builder didn't put one in, but all it means is that 8.5 feet
(the head) of water in a 2" pipe falls back into the sump when the pump
turns off.

Now if I added a second pump that used the same vertical output pipe ,
(unlike a water powered base pump), I would have to add a check valve in
each pipe that's not shared, one for each pump Or else when only one
pump is running, the water would be pumped to where the pipes join and
it would go right back down again through the other pipe to and through
the other pump, to the sump again. Making room for these checkvalves
was the last but most difficult part of designing in a second pump.
But ACE sells two pumps already assembled together, to fit a sump. Maybe
that's the answer. One pump would use a battery.