Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Getting a bigger sump pump

On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 08:28:32 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Friday, July 25, 2014 10:29:16 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/24/2014 11:59 PM, micky wrote:

So a 50% increase in the power of the motor yields only about a 10%

increase in GPH. The next 50% yields a 7% increase with Wayne.

With ACE, 50% increase yields a 9% increase in GPH.

Why is this?

First, be sure they are all showing the ratings for the same

circumstances (head or lift).

I assumed the circs were the same. Same brand, same style box and
laabling . If not the same circs, it's like they're trying to confuse
me.

.. As power goes up, the amount of water

increases, but on a curve. Just as you car fuel mileage is not twice at

30 mph as it is at 60 mph.

I appreciate your and others' actually addressing my question before
giving me advice on things.

I'd consider getting a second pump rather than a larger one. With

I certainly have. A base pump, or a battery operated pump. Just
putting in a bigger pump wouldnt' solve power shortages, but otoh it's
so easy to do, maybe an hour altogether.

redundancy, you always have some ability to move water if one fails.

That is common practice in critical manufacturing operations. We may

lose capacity, but we don't shut down.

+1

Especially given this:

**It just caused wet boxes (cardboard cartons) in the laundry room, for
the nth time, and I don't even do anything anymore when this happens,
but I would still like to have eveything working "right".

Which is confusing, because he also said that it only happened once in
31 years.

Only once in 31 years has the sump pump not kept up with water entering
the sump from the ground outside.

But there have been many other "floods", mostly in the early years, none
more than an quarter of an inch in a small area and an eigth of an inch
in a bigger one. All or at least most have been cured and won't happen
again.

In no special order, the time
the washing machine hose burst
Replaced with stainless steel clad.
the condensate tray for the AC overflowed, a lot
Rerouted drain tube. It had worked for 10 years the original way.
the water heater leaked, not noticed because of the condensate tray leak
New water heater, added pan underneath, with drain to sump
the polyethylene? tube to the humidifer developed a hole
Replaced with copper.
the tube to the toilet in powder room on 1st floor sprang a leak
Just repaired. Didn't put stress on any connection.
the laundry sink backed up when it rained a lot, 3 times
I keep a stopper in it, and may put a ball valve in the drain.
the hose to the kitchen sink on the first floor broke
Used proper hose.

I'm sure there are a couple of causes I missed. I can never remember
them all.

But clearly there is at least laundry eqpt at risk. If there was
at least one time where the current and presumably correctly functioning
pump couldn't keep up, that suggests a pump is probably needed many times.

For months at a time, the pump doesn't run. For months more, water
wouldn't reach the floor even if there were no pump, but since the pump
level is set lower than the floor, it runs some times. (I raised the
turn-on level 3 or 4 inches from where it was when I bought the house,
and cut the running by about 75%.) And for some reason, there's never
been a power failure when there was also a high water level. But it
could happen.

If you have two, if one dies, you're still covered for probably 99%+ of
occurances, the exceptions being thoser rare times when the additional
capacity is really needed. For another $150 or so, sounds like money well
spent for a second pump.

Like I say, I've thought about base and battery. Ace Hardware also
had two pumps connected already. I've never seen that in person before.
I got so intrigrued by the question I asked that I didn't pay attention,
but I'll check the web or go back.