Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
amdx[_3_] amdx[_3_] is offline

Default grounding lightbulbs, fuses and other parts

On 7/24/2014 9:10 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Thu, 24 Jul 2014 18:24:05 -0500, amdx wrote:

On 7/24/2014 4:19 PM, wrote:
Em quinta-feira, 24 de julho de 2014 17h00min25s UTC-4, amdx escreveu:
Which section of the NEC says Low voltage is safer than high voltage.

You can quote the verbage here, " "

Mostly stuff about gfci requirements would suit.

I wonder why sidewalk lighting is low voltage?

240vac 2 phase (black, blue and red) number 10 wire lighting?

I never asked if it was low or high.

Your responses are very strange.

I'll ask again.

Which section of the NEC says Low voltage is safer than high voltage.

Put that sentence here ---" "

Look, read the NEC (like section 210.8, OK ??)

Maybe this will solve the misunderstanding.

Assume the load is the same for both, which will cause more current to

flow, a higher voltage or lower voltage?

The lower.

If you get the answer correct, my work is done.

Final Answer for everything else: READ THE NEC (like section 210.8)

Oh my! I have much work left to do, however at this point I'll just
say, your answer is wrong. The higher voltage will call more current to
flow. You don't understand, but I'll leave it up to you to decide if you
want to have the knowledge. If you do, there are plenty of pages that
describe Ohms Law.
It's been interesting, although I have a sinking feeling I've been
taken for a ride as a joke on me.
Mikek

Hmmmm.... I read that current flow is dependent on voltage and
resistance and that the resistance of the human body is about 2K ohms
from hand to hand

So, current flow at 110 VAC will be 110/2000 = 0.055 amps, at 220 VAC
= 0.11 amps and at 440 VAC = 0.44 amps.

Further reading shows that AC currents as low as 30 mA can induce
ventricular fibrillation and cause death.

30 mA = 0.03 amps so it looks as though 110 VAC will kill you and 220
VAC will kill you and 440 VAC will kill you.

Are you somehow postulating that 110 VAC will kill you less dead that
440 VAC? Or to put it another way, that 440 VAC will kill you deader
than 110 VAC?

Or you just posturing?

--
Cheers,

John B.

The original thing I tried to correct was his statement that,
"277 is safer than a lower voltage" (To paraphrase).
That 2k human body skin resistance is highly variable, Grabbing the
leads of your DVM with your finger tips and you could measure over 1
million ohms. I think in my example I used 15,000 per body connection.
I have had dozens of 120 Vac shocks, I think I'm glad it wasn't 240
Vac. But I agree 120Vac can kill you, but it is my thinking that you
might have a better chance of survival at the lower voltage.
But with either voltage if it kills you, your dead.
Mikek

---