Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John B. slocomb John B. slocomb is offline

Default grounding lightbulbs, fuses and other parts

On Thu, 24 Jul 2014 21:38:59 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

John B. Slocomb fired this volley in
:

Are you somehow postulating that 110 VAC will kill you less dead that
440 VAC? Or to put it another way, that 440 VAC will kill you deader
than 110 VAC?

Or you just posturing?

Are you perhaps forgetting that the higher the voltage, the more
resistance it can have in the load path with the same current flow? Are
you also forgetting that insulation of a given thickness is more easily
breached by a higher voltage than a lower one?

So, say you're all decked out in slightly sweaty equipment, and your
total resistance including the gloves is 5Kohms. Now 110VAC only can
make 22ma flow through you. 240 can cause 48ma.

So, we better double our insulation to 10K including us. Now 240 can
only cause 24ma to flow. 440 can cause 44ma.

See the relationships?
(besides, unless you're out on the end of a really long rural run with
all sorts of subscribers along it, there's not much 110VAC around
anymore. 120-125 is the 'new' 110.

LLoyd

Lloyd, you are throwing **** in the game. Nobody said that they were
going about in sweaty clothes or that the insulation was leaking. I
believe that they were insisting that higher voltages were safer.

I don't know about your 5K gloves as I only did one hot high voltage
job and that was a 4160 hook up to an ILS system on the airfield and
it was either work it hot or close the airdrome. We used gloves
certified to 7,500 VAC and air pressure tested them before we used
them. (I was scared ****less the whole time we worked )

If you want to get into all the reasons that electricity can hurt you,
I know a guy who said that his mate was killed by electricity from a
cable that had never been connected to a source of electricity.
Knocked him off the tower and he died.
--
Cheers,

John B.