Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Tub and tub walls

On 7/24/2014 6:03 PM, ralf wrote:
Replacing a porcelain steel tub and the ceramic and walls, which are 30+
years old.

Undecided on a product from American Standard, which is a material
called Americast with porcelain over it, or an acrylic tub. Cast is out
of the question at this point because of the weight and small area it's
going into. Comments on negative or positive of the two choices would be
welcome.

Do you use the tub? Or do you shower all the time? Last time anyone
took a bath in my hous was over 15 years ago when the grandkids were little.

We had a fiberglass tub and surround and took it out. Now we have a 60"
shower in the palace of the tub and we love it. Bought a 32 x 60 pan
from Swanstone and it replaced the tub and the drain was in the right
position. Ceramic tile walls, glass door, Kohler valves and a Delta
rainhead and handheld. Looks fantastic and we all like it'

Right now I'm in the process of doing the downstairs bath the same way.
The shower has tile to the ceiling, the rest of the room has 5 tiles
high (50") with a 3" trim band and a 3" bullnose on the top.

The shower also has two grab bars. They are a must as you get older.
My wife also uses a seat in the shower and there is plenty of room in it.