Posted to uk.d-i-y
harryagain[_2_] harryagain[_2_] is offline

Default Paging a real plumber

"Dennis@home" wrote in message
b.com...
On 23/07/2014 01:20, Onetap wrote:
On Wednesday, July 23, 2014 1:00:13 AM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

I've seen a soldered joint pop out when a pipe froze. Without
damage

elsewhere. The joint appeared perfectly tinned.

I've seen a lot of soldered water pipes that had frozen and all of
those, without exception, had split longitudinally. The hoop stress
is twice the axial stress in a thin cylinder, ISTR.

I would think that the pipes don't freeze all along their length so there
is a good chance they will burst before enough of it has frozen to push
the ends out.

They can freeze near a joint and then there is a good chance the joint
will pop whatever type it is (except plastic).

Solder joints pop after one good freeze, compression joints creep so you
may get away with a small number of freezes but they will pop if not
reseated.

Total bollix.
I have hundreds of freeze ups. The pipe always splits axially after
bulging.
I have never seen a properly tightend commpression join pull out either.