Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default grounding lightbulbs, fuses and other parts

Gunner Asch on Wed, 23 Jul 2014 03:23:32 -0700

One has to be careful. Now they sell Be metal drivers and coated drivers.

O.K. I have to ask what the benefit of the Be (I presume
actually BeCu non-sparking tools), but I can't imagine the vapor from
them falling into a high power arc would be that much lower in
temperature, and given the hazards in machining BeCu, I can't imagine
that the vapor from that would be any too healthy compared to vaporized
steel.

The real place which I know of BeCu tools being preferred is
when working in an explosive atmosphere, as they don't generate
sparks when they hit other metals, while steel (especially hardened
steel) does -- thus being likely to ignite the explosive mixture.

Enjoy,
DoN.

My hand tools..screw drivers mostly..that are used on subpanels etc
etc..ALL..ALL..EVERYONE has the shanks covered up with heat shrink
tubing all the way to the handles..with just the tip of the
screwdriver/nutdriver...sticking out.

I crossed a couple busses once with a bare screw driver blade and
melted it and the busses down.

Heat shrink tubing is very..very cheap protection

Much neater than duct tape - which I've used.
--
pyotr filipivich