Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default How am I meant to paint the stonework in this bloody weather?

On 23/07/2014 08:12, Nightjar "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote:
On 22/07/14 19:46, Nightjar "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote:
On 22/07/14 17:48, Nightjar "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote:
On 22/07/2014 17:31, Rod Speed wrote:

"Nightjar "cpb"@" "insert my surname here wrote in message
On 22/07/2014 16:20, Jabba wrote:
Robin scribbled...

I've been trying to paint round the windows, door etc with
Johnstone's
Stormshield Pliolite for past few days. But I can't get the
bloody
stuff to brush out before it dries. Roller's no better on the
bigger
areas. (On a scale of "passable" to "excellent" my painting is
often
"re-sit" but this is much worse than usual.) And the paint in the
kettle
seems to get gloopy on top before I've moved the ladder once. I've
tried
thinning a bit with white spirit but that didn't make a noticeable
difference. Anything else I can try please? Or is it just too
bloody
hot (in London) for East facing stonework which gets hot first
thing
with a paint which always dries v v fast?

Change your painting times to early or late, when the sun isn't on
the
wall.

Yep. I have a couple of gates that need painting. The alarm is set
for
6:30 am

Wota packa wimps. You wanna try doing it in
a heat wave where we get 10 days over 40C.

What do you fail to understand about the heat causing the paint to dry
too quickly?

so add more water..

Not very good for an oil based paint.

so add more white spirit..

The only method of thinning recommended by the manufacturer is to stand
the open tin in a bucket of hot water. Given the choice between possibly
upsetting the carefully formulated composition of an expensive exterior
paint by using random solvents and getting up early, I'll stick with
getting up early.

+1