Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Chevy vehicle question for the motorheads

On 2014-07-22, wrote:

On Mon, 21 Jul 2014 22:14:40 -0500, "Terry Coombs"

On 20 Jul 2014 01:02:38 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

wrote:

While the engine was replaced -- which carb is on the engine?

The one from the previous engine, or the one which was on the

replacement engine when its car was rear-ended?

CARB?? What the heck is a CARB.

For you youngsters out there , a carb is an analog device for mixing fuel

and air in approximately the proper proportions to burn efficiently .

I'm an old coot too - so I know what a CARB is (and as a mechanic

worked on hundreds (likely thousands) of them.) but obviously someone

wasn't reading the post very well. Carbs were long gone when the

subject vehicle was produced.

Guilty as charged. I haven't worked on engines much for years,

so I don't know when the switchover happened -- especially for domestic

vehicles. The BMW 2002 had a carb. My Mazda GLCs had a carb. The Mazda

B2600 I think had fuel injection, but I'm not sure. I do know that it

had a real timing chain (like my MGAs had) instead of one of the belts

which fail in some cars at awkward times -- or even slip without

failing, doing nasty things to the timing. :-) The Mazda Navajo

(actually a Ford Explorer) has fuel injection and a weird ignition

system. I'm not sure what my Nissan Cube has, but I like it. Lots of

inside space and headroom, without taking too much outside space. :-)

Enjoy,

DoN.

--

Remove oil spill source from e-mail

(too) near Washington D.C. |

Wrong, again DoN.

Not all BMW 2002 had carbs:

http://www.hemmings.com/hsx/stories/...feature26.html

"The high-performance model was the tii, which was produced for the 1972-1974 model years. Visually, it was identical to a standard 2002, with the same engine and gearbox, but instead of a Solex carburetor, it was equipped with Kugelfischer mechanical fuel injection, which helped increase its horsepower rating to 125 from an even 100 for the standard model.

Specifications

ENGINE

2002: 1,990cc Inline four-cylinder, single overhead-cam with twin rocker shafts, cast-iron block with aluminum cylinder head, 8.3:1 compression ratio, hardened forged-steel crankshaft, five main bearings, forged-steel connecting rods, single dual-barrel Solex 40PDSI carburetor

2002tii: 1,990cc Inline four-cylinder, single overhead-cam with twin rocker shafts, cast-iron block with aluminum cylinder head, 9.0:1 compression ratio, hardened forged-steel crankshaft, five main bearings, forged-steel connecting rods, single, Kugelfischer mechanical fuel injection"