Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] purepr12@gmail.com is offline

Default Fix for fridge shelves falling.

On Saturday, March 2, 2013 11:17:21 AM UTC-5, John wrote:
In case this helps someone else:

We have an older (about 1997) Sears side by side fridge (with water and

crushed/whole ice in the door) that still works well. But the fridge

side door had warped over time (widened) and the shelves tended to fall

out. No fun cleaning up after a couple of jars bang against each other

and break spilling God knows what over everything.

The door has a row of studs (14 per side) molded in place that support

the shelves. These measure .395" in diameter and are about 7/16" long.

The shelves hook over the studs and rest against the back of the door.

To fix the problem I could have hunted up a replacement part but given

the age not worth bothering with and probably would have cost big bucks

even if I were able to locate something.

So to fix the problem I bought a three foot length of clear 3/8" x 9/16"

plastic tubing (seems like vinyl but not sure) and cut 1/2" lengths

which fit perfectly over the studs thus making them 1/16" longer per

side. The tubing is actually 10mm I.D. (.393") x 13 mm (.512") o.d. not

the nominal 3/8 (.375") advertised. The tubing was only a couple of

bucks plus tax. Actually less than two foot was plenty but if needed I

have some left over if it cracks or the door grows a bit more over time.

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together!

Thanks for listening to my gloat

John

After living with this problem for years, I also fixed it in less than 5 minutes with the same solution: Bought a small piece of white translucent automobile tubing (3/8" inner x 1/2" outer), clipped a piece about 5/8" long, slipped it snugly over the too-short pin, done.