Posted to alt.home.repair
RobertMacy RobertMacy is offline

Default Lack of cold water plaguing northwest subdivision...

On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 13:18:23 -0700, Oren wrote:

...snip...
Municipal water is not that hot, here. Water tables can be 245 feet
below the surface. (high desert) Some in the desert have a shared
water source (cistern Co-Op's). Still I've never heard of water with
such high temps.

Here, north of Phoenix, our well is 626 feet down, so water is nice cool
temp. BUT! comes to the surface and then is stored in an 'above ground'
tank ...in the sun. plus 300 ft shallow pipe to house plus pipes run in
the attic, albeit in the insulation still in the attic. So...often in the
summer's afternoon the cold water all by itself is too hot to shower in.
so why am I paying the utilities company more than $30 a month for the hot
water heater?!

Actually, I was pleaantly surprised that the very hard water tastes pretty
decent and even makes great coffee, compared to the city supplied water,
which lines the pot with sludge and makes the coffee taste like a dead
fish.