Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Sanding face frames with ROS, right across the joints?

On 7/22/2014 11:22 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jul 2014 16:21:38 -0500, Leon wrote:

Now having said that I too have used a Bosch ROS. By comparison it was
much less aggressive and beyond noticeably slower than both the PC and
the Rotex in ROS mode so perhaps some ROS sanders don't display that
scratch pattern but IMHO the whole purpose to use a ROS over a finish
sander is to speed up the sanding process.

Well, I certainly don't tout the Bosch for stock removal :-). I use it
as a finish sander. It is less aggressive and is variable speed, so
perhaps that accounts for the lack of scratches I see.

All sanders leave scratches, but by the time I get to 220 I can't see
them. And I usually finish with clear shellac (SealCoat). I do work
through all the grits - it seems to be faster than skipping grits.

P.S. I hand sand the shellac - a power sander melts it :-).

And your methods very well may work better for you than they would for
me. I am not sure I even own any grit past 180. ;~) And I mostly only
use rub on gel varnishes and stains on occasion.