Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul K. Dickman Paul K. Dickman is offline

Default Custom router bit

On Tuesday, July 22, 2014 12:10:02 PM UTC-4, Paul K. Dickman wrote:

"rangerssuck" wrote in message

On Monday, July 21, 2014 4:13:23 PM UTC-4, rangerssuck wrote:

I need to make (or have made) a custom router bit. The groove I need

snip

A paddle bit will twist up as soon as it hits the wood and screw up the

job

and probably put your eye out.
I assume you are plowing the sashes to fit the patent balance.

From the dimensions and the descriptions of the modified tool this angle

is close enough to 45deg to be designed that way.

Don't reinvent the wheel.

Buy a 5/8" 45deg. v-grooving bit. Blunt the end to around 3/16 and cut
in

two passes.

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...-Groove_Anchor

The blunted end will leave the bottom fuzzy but it probably won't make
any

difference because the sashes probably locate on the bevel before they

bottom out on the flat.

Paul K. Dickman

This raises an interesting question (setting aside that the 5/8 is too
small

and I'd have to go to the 3/4" size) : are the dimensions that I have,

supplied by the distributor, correct? They are probably "close enough for

government work" but if you're a carpenter with a ruler that only goes to

16ths, they many not be correct, and the angle may well be 45? rather
than

41.6?.

I will check the dimensions today.

Buy a 5/8" 45deg. v-grooving bit. Blunt the end to around 3/16 and cut
in

two passes.

Why two passes?

Because the 5/8 is too small.

more easily dealt with by going up to the 3/4" bit and lowering it in the
router table, I think.

BTW, #5419 on
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...-Groove_Anchor
is, except for the totally wrong dimensions, exactly what I need. It cuts a
v-groove with a flat bottom.

Pardon me for snipping, but it replies were staritng to sprawl.

Your are missing my idea.
By grinding back the point of the vee bit, you create a flat in the center.
The flat won't cut prefectly, but the bevels will do most of the cutting.
If that flat is around 3/16 in dia, it will take two passes to cut it to the
3/8 width.

Since they were making these from stock cutters, I strongly suspect that
angle is 45deg.
These don't come standard in 41.6 deg.
It is not inconceivable that they would fully grind a new angle, but it
would be a pain in the butt to get the relief right. I think it is more
likely that they just ground a couple of flutes on the end to bottom cut the
flat.

Paul K. Dickman