Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Kraus[_2_] Larry Kraus[_2_] is offline

Default Custom router bit

On 7/22/2014 11:21 AM, rangerssuck wrote:
On Tuesday, July 22, 2014 11:15:12 AM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"rangerssuck" wrote in message

On Monday, July 21, 2014 4:13:23 PM UTC-4, rangerssuck wrote:

I need to make (or have made) a custom router bit. The groove I need

to make is a truncated V 15/16" wide at the top, 3/8" wide at the

bottom and 1/4" deep. The dimensions aren't super critical, but

closer is better.

I do NOT have a real tool grinder, and HF seems to have discontinued

theirs. I also don't (as will become apparent) have more than a very

little bit of experience grinding tool bits. I DO have 1x30 and 4x36

belt sanders, a set of 5C collets and a square collet block.

I'm thinking that I could lay out the shape on a blank, hold it in

the collet block, set the fence on the sander to 41 1/2� (to form

the V angle), tilt its table to 20� or so (to form the cutting edge

and then grind to the line. Then grind the flat end and its cutting

edges.

Since the grooves are straight with open ends you might consider

making a molding plane, thus trading off an easier-to-make steel blade

for a little woodworking. Dull circular saw blades can be annealed,

cut up and rehardened.

http://www.hyperkitten.com/tools/art...ane_Basics.php

-jsw

I've seen those - The Woodright's shop is one of my all time favorites - but I have about 300 feet of this to do, and I'd like to get it done in my lifetime.

You are not removing much material. With straight, flat material, a
sharp plane, and a guide, I'd guess about it would take less than two
minutes for an eight foot groove.

How about cutting a central dado, and two passes on a router table over
a v groove bit to form the sides? Or form the sides with a tilted table
saw blade?

Or a molding head for the table saw? Custom molding cutters are easier
to shape than creating a router bit.