Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default #6 NM wire in 1/2" hole?

On Tuesday, July 22, 2014 10:08:58 AM UTC-4, philo* wrote:
On 07/21/2014 10:43 PM, wrote:

Hi, I'm the OP.

Yes, the mini split a/c system specs explicitly call for a 50amp breaker and #6 AWG (although I shudder to think that it'll actually use that much, with a 16 SEER).

I think I answered my own question by finding several "conduit fill charts" online that say 1/2" conduit can only have 2 #6 wires, so rules are there to keep me safe and I'm fine with that.

I also failed to notice one last 3/4" knock-out, so I'll be using that one.

Many thanks to all the good technical solutions and suggestions!

Regards,

Theodore.

Though your A/C is not likely to draw anywhere near 50 amps

continuously, it will have a very high initial startup current.

By using #6 wire the voltage drop should be minimal.

It's also minimal with #8 and the percent voltage drop difference
between #6 and #8 is insignificant. Which is why you can wire even a
5 ton AC with number #8.