Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Sanding face frames with ROS, right across the joints?

On 7/22/2014 8:03 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:

I have always looked at the round disk ROS sander as one to remove
bulk but with much more fineness than a belt sander. For the last
grits I almost always use a finish sander so that I can have more
control with direction. About the only time I will finish sand with
a ROS is when sanding large non-enclosed panels, cabinet sides or
tops. ROS's can't get into inside corners and are tough to hold flat
on the edge surface of a face frame, doors, drawers, anything narrow..

What do you use for a finish sander Leon?

For probably 25 years I used these. These would raise a cloud of dust
that you would not believe.

http://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-3.../dp/B0000222Y9

After initially buying a Festool CT22 vac with the Domino, I eventually
added the Rotex sander and replaced the above sander with this.

http://festoolusa.com/power-tools/sa...-sander-567863

As a side note here, unless I do some hand sanding I rarely will wipe
down or blow off a sanded surface before applying a finish. It works
that well at dust control.