Posted to sci.electronics.repair
RobertMacy RobertMacy is offline

Default Hot Transformer

On Mon, 21 Jul 2014 19:30:16 -0700, Fred McKenzie wrote:

...snip....

A temperature of 125º F/52º C is hotter than you want to hold your hand
on, but you probably will not scream from the pain. Temperature is a
significant factor in reliability calculations. I was concerned about
the long term degradation of components.

I think I just answered my own question. The hottest power supply is 30
years old and the other is 20. Both appear to meet their electrical
specifications.

Fred

Standard 'rule of thumb' the MTBF is halved for every 10C increase in
temperature.
(10C == 18F)