Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Sanding face frames with ROS, right across the joints?

On 7/21/2014 10:53 PM, Morgans wrote:

"Greg Guarino" wrote

I have finish sanders and a single-setting ROS (DeWalt). But what I'm
asking is, do I sand right over the joint? Grits?

Belt sand any really bad high spots with 120, go to 120 with ROS and
sand over the whole thing, joints and all, then 150 if painted, and 220
if stained. I threw away my finish sanders.

How do you sand inside corners with a round disk?

It always seemed I got a
piece of sandpaper that had some larger rocks in them, then it mad
swirls all in my piece.

This can easily happen with any sander if you are not using a vac to
capture dust and or do not wipe down the surface between grits. OR if
you are using marginal quality sand paper.

Not a problem with the ROS. Also, speed is
key. If you have a single speed, go down and get a ceiling fan motor
speed controller, and put it in a box with a male and female plug to run
the sander. Not ideal, but it works.

That is what I do, anyway. YMMV.