Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Sanding face frames with ROS, right across the joints?

On 7/22/2014 6:08 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On 7/21/2014 10:05 AM, Leon wrote:

Once every thing is smooth I move to the next grit and typically to my
finish sander and only moving the sander in the direction of the grain.

And right at the tee-joint line ... what? Do you try to just barely
touch the edge? I'm trying to get an idea of how big an issue this is.

If you are talking about the butt joint where like a rail and stile
join, I sand that with ROS usually down to 150 grit and pay no
attention to grain. Then the transition or joint is smooth I switch to
my finish sander and the same 150 grit and will try to only move the
sander in the direction of the grain. I first run the sander along the
piece that runs into the other. If I go too far, into the mating board
with the grain running 90 degrees to the piece I am sanding, I work that
out when I sand the other piece. It is easier sanding in this order
than sanding in reverse to that order. Then I do the same with 180
grit and the finish sander. Because finish sanders typically use
rectangular pieces of sand paper it is easier to control exactly what
you are sanding.

I have always looked at the round disk ROS sander as one to remove bulk
but with much more fineness than a belt sander. For the last grits I
almost always use a finish sander so that I can have more control with
direction. About the only time I will finish sand with a ROS is when
sanding large non-enclosed panels, cabinet sides or tops. ROS's can't
get into inside corners and are tough to hold flat on the edge surface
of a face frame, doors, drawers, anything narrow..

I'm thinking I could machine sand as carefully as possible up to the
line on the "bottom" piece of the "T", inevitably going over a little.
But on the "top" piece, I could hand-sand without going over the edge at
all for the last grit, especially if I were to make a custom sanding
block with a "stop".

Like this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguarino/14529789927/

But I have a feeling you guys don't do anything like that.

---
protection is active.