Posted to alt.home.repair

Default #6 NM wire in 1/2" hole?

On 7/21/2014 6:30 PM, wrote:
Hi,
I'm running a 6-3 Romex NM-B with ground for my new

air conditioner system.
My main panel doesn't seem to have any spare

(unoccupied) 3/4" size punch outs left; but there
is a 1/2" punch out. It is possible for me to fit
this 6-3 with ground in there, but does anyone know
whether this is prohibited by the NEC?
All advice (and NEC references) appreciated!
Regards,
Theodore.

On a practical note, I'd be sure to have a Romex
connector

http://www.contractcleanersupplies.c...-connector.jpg
in the punch out. Just to run the wire through the
hole leaves the risk of the panel metal wearing
through the insulation and causing a short.

How many tons of cooling? I remember using 10 AWG
for 2 1/2 ton system one time.

--
..
Christopher A. Young