Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John G[_5_] John G[_5_] is offline

Default Hot Transformer

It happens that Fred McKenzie formulated :
In article ,
"Tom Miller" wrote:

One thing the OP failed to state is the voltage of his 20 amp power supply.
2000 volts at 20 amps is a much larger transformer then one might find in a
12 volt, 20 amp supply.

I am using these power supplies for Ham Radio equipment. Voltage is
supposed to be 13.8, but I think most people just say 12.

A temperature of 125º F/52º C is hotter than you want to hold your hand
on, but you probably will not scream from the pain. Temperature is a
significant factor in reliability calculations. I was concerned about
the long term degradation of components.

I think I just answered my own question. The hottest power supply is 30
years old and the other is 20. Both appear to meet their electrical
specifications.

Fred

Do they really meet their Specs?
Back then (30 years ago) the nominal in USA was more likely 110 volts
whereas today to follow Harmonisation rules it should be 120 which is
a like 9% increase. Of course there is a wide margin but you may be on
the high side. Just a thought.