Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Fred McKenzie Fred McKenzie is offline

Default Hot Transformer

In article ,
"Tom Miller" wrote:

One thing the OP failed to state is the voltage of his 20 amp power supply.
2000 volts at 20 amps is a much larger transformer then one might find in a
12 volt, 20 amp supply.

I am using these power supplies for Ham Radio equipment. Voltage is
supposed to be 13.8, but I think most people just say 12.

A temperature of 125º F/52º C is hotter than you want to hold your hand
on, but you probably will not scream from the pain. Temperature is a
significant factor in reliability calculations. I was concerned about
the long term degradation of components.

I think I just answered my own question. The hottest power supply is 30
years old and the other is 20. Both appear to meet their electrical
specifications.

Fred