Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Custom router bit

Phil Kangas wrote:
"Terry Coombs"
wrote in message
Bob Engelhardt wrote:
On 7/21/2014 4:13 PM, rangerssuck wrote:
...The groove I need to make is a truncated V
15/16" wide at the
top, 3/8" wide at the bottom and 1/4" deep.

How much of this groove do you need to make?
One time? Or
production?

Can it be done by using a 45° vee bit and a
standard plunge bit ? You might be able to
regrind the angle of a 45° champher bit and cut
the pilot off and use it to angle the sides of
a 3/8" groove .

--
Snag

Snag, are you saying do it in two passes? I like
that
idea as it will solve the chip interference action
when
done in one pass.

I spent 20 years in cabinet shops , often with a very limited tooling
budget . The boss liked it when I could make two $12 tooling items do the
job of a single $165 tool ...
To answer your question more directly , yes , 2 tools and a total of 3
passes - groove , near side then far side on the return pass . This approach
will need fences/guides and a very accurate setup .
--
Snag