Posted to alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default What tools can I use to sharpen these kitchen knives?

On 7/21/14, 3:30 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
On Sat, 19 Jul 2014 05:27:36 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

Harry K wrote, on Fri, 18 Jul 2014 21:54:01 -0700:

The "steel" is a hone, not a sharpener.
Used regularly it will keep a sharp knive "scary sharp".
It works just find on serrated knives such as bread knives.

I'm surprised the steel will work on the serrated knives.

But, I watched a few videos today, and while it's easy to
get used to using the hone, the stones simply dulled my
knives even further.
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5551/1...ac215781_b.jpg

So, I have a loooooong way to go to becoming a better knife
sharpener!

The hardest part is keeping a steady angle.

Best thing I have found is the small ceramic sharpeners. I have one
that's similar to this (mine has longer ceramic elements)

http://www.knivesforsale.us/SingleKn...Cat=Sharpeners

I also use mine on serrated knives and it works fine to sharpen them
too despite what some people claim.

That's how I got started with ceramics. It was hard to keep the little
rods from getting dull by accumulating metal. So I switched to the kind
with 8" rods stuck in a board.

I see Lansky now sells kits with a board, a pair of 5" medium rods, and
a pair of 5" fine rods, and holes for a 25 degree or a 20 degree edge.
I think the old kits were set for 40 degrees. If I wanted a more acute
edge, I'd put the blade in a clamp to guide a rod. (For some knives and
some uses, 40 degrees is more practical than 20.)