Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Custom router bit

"rangerssuck" wrote in message
I need to make (or have made) a custom router bit. The groove I need to
make is a truncated V 15/16" wide at the top, 3/8" wide at the bottom and
1/4" deep. The dimensions aren't super critical, but closer is better.

I do NOT have a real tool grinder, and HF seems to have discontinued
theirs. I also don't (as will become apparent) have more than a very
little bit of experience grinding tool bits. I DO have 1x30 and 4x36 belt
sanders, a set of 5C collets and a square collet block.

I'm thinking that I could lay out the shape on a blank, hold it in the
collet block, set the fence on the sander to 41 1/2° (to form the V
angle), tilt its table to 20° or so (to form the cutting edge and then
grind to the line. Then grind the flat end and its cutting edges.

Question 1:
Does the above sound reasonable?

I have found a source for HS blanks http://goo.gl/13G1cD but a) they're
not at all cheap and b) they have a half-inch shank and I have a 1/4"
router. I'm not opposed to a new router, but only if I really need it.

Question 2:
Is there any reason I couldn't start out with a 15/16" spade bit as my
blank? Even the most expensive spade bit is going to be less expensive
than that router bit blank. Is there something about a spade bit that
would make it totally unsuitable for this?

Question 3:
should I just job this out? If so, is there anyone here who would want to
do it? How much should I expect to pay?

Thanks for the input.

I've made a few different specialty cutters for one off jobs on my CNC mill
by cutting a piece out of plane old 1018 sharpening it, case hardening, and
the resharpening. I've also made a few cutters that didn't have to hold up
at all by scribing a piece, and free hand grinding back and forth between
the bench grinder and the belt sander.

So what are you cutting? How much of it are you cutting? Will you need to
rinse and repeat? Sine you specifically said router, then I am guessing
wood, but I do use a router for cutting aluminum and brass sometimes too.