Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Sanding face frames with ROS, right across the joints?

On 7/21/2014 3:01 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

I have finish sanders and a single-setting ROS (DeWalt). But what I'm
asking is, do I sand right over the joint? Grits?

Can't advise you on your specifics because every situation is different.
But, I can tell you what I usually do:

Almost always run through 100, 120, 150 with a finish sander, with the
grain on real wood; I generally start with 120 or 150 with plywood.

Use the ROS, on the high side only of problem area, with the coarser
grits as necessary (run through 60?, 80 and 100) for problem areas.
Switch to a finish sander, with the grain, and with 100 (over above
sanding), 120, 150.

Then, depending upon the project, 220 by hand to lightly sand the faces
and break edges.

On bath and kitchen cabinet wood that will be stained/painted I usually
go through 100, 120 and 150; stop at 150 and break the edges, by hand,
with that.

On stain grade veneered plywood parts, I finish sand lightly at 120, 150.

In all case for the final three grits (100, 120, 150), I use a finish
sander, with the grain only; and sand up to, but do not sand across, the
joint in either direction.

YMMV ...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com