Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default grounding lightbulbs, fuses and other parts

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Wed, 16 Jul 2014 19:51:00 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader

This is the only website that I saw regarding "grounded lightbulbs".

I know its tacky, but if a contractor even asks about grounding lightbulbs and fuses, what would any of you say?

"do your job right and make sure fixtures are grounded".

It doesn't mean you need a ground wire, conduit and metallic whips are
good enough at least here in Chicago where we have strict (and good)
electrical codes. Garbage like stapled down romex and plastic boxes are
not allowed here. I'm not sure why they're allowed anywhere.

Whats wrong with plastic boxes..both the gray type and the Carlon
type?

Everything? Same for romex.

you can damage the heck out of plastic stuff and not know it even happened
until the place goes up in flames. That garbage offers virtually no
protection in the case of idiots shooting deck screws into everything or
any sort of fire caused by a bad connection or some othe fault.

Even copper pipes are really easy to damage and pierce with those
rediculously sharp fasteners people use these days.

A coworker had some mega flood in their place that was traced to folks
upstairs up in the building having new kitchen cabinets mounted right into
the water pipes. It somehow took days or or even a week before the
affected pipes finally ripped open. Should the contactor have been more
careful? yeah, but stuff like this happens, and flooding and electrical
fires in your walls are not nice things to have.