Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Sanding face frames with ROS, right across the joints?

On 7/21/2014 9:54 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:

Actually the direction that you move the sander, ROS or finish sander,
is more important.

I have to disagree with this statement Leon. It has nothing at all to do
with direction. I would say that it has something to do with the speed at
which you move in any direction - so as to allow the orbital action to do
its thing, but most certainly - not to do with the direction. It's
orbital - direction has no meaning. With a finish sander - ok - might agree
on that point.

Well Mike, I am not just making this stuff up. The proof is in the
pudding, Try moving you finish sander and or ROS in a direction other
than with the grain and you will end up with scratches that go across
the grain. Regardless of which direction the small scratch pattern the
ROS or finish sanders make when you drag across the grain the scratch
patterns are no longer hidden by the grain. Been there Done that.

FWIW the ideal sander speed is 1" per second.