Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Sanding face frames with ROS, right across the joints?

"Greg Guarino" wrote in message

While we're at it: what about easing the edges on a face frame? Do you
ease all the edges, thus making a visible line at each joint? Or do you
assemble the face frame and then ease the exposed edges only; leaving
the joint lines flush? (this question has nothing to do with a
random-orbit sander, by the way)

I ease edges after assembly; however, unlike Leon, I do the inside edges
as well simply because I like the look. One needs to exercise a bit of
caution where two pieces meet; if oneis really anal, one can make that
union look like it had been coped.

There are times when an eased inside edge is useful (as well as esthetic),
either between two pieces in the same component or two different
components. For example, the inside edge of a breadboard end is often
eased as are the butting face frame edges in a row of cabinets. It is
called a "quirk" and is useful because - expecially in the case of
cabinets - it is close to impossible to get the abutting face frame edges
perfectly aligned.

--

dadiOH