Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Sanding face frames with ROS, right across the joints?

On 7/21/2014 8:49 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On 6/26/2014 7:36 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

I was amazed at how easy face frames became when my first ROS sanded
right across the corners with no scratches:-)

So, is this the consensus? I can sand over the joints in a face frame
with a random-orbit sander without cross-grain scratches? Is this only
for finer grits?

Actually the direction that you move the sander, ROS or finish sander,
is more important. The scratches from both sanders are difficult to see
unless you work the sanders across the grain. I use a ROS on joints and
for my first 120 or 150 grit pass. Once every thing is smooth I move to
the next grit and typically to my finish sander and only moving the
sander in the direction of the grain.

I can see that the random-orbit action does not obviously favor any
particular direction, so I guess that answers the question. But being a
novice, I have to ask.

See above.

While we're at it: what about easing the edges on a face frame? Do you
ease all the edges, thus making a visible line at each joint? Or do you
assemble the face frame and then ease the exposed edges only; leaving
the joint lines flush? (this question has nothing to do with a
random-orbit sander, by the way)

Ease any edges that might become vulnerable to hits thus causing the
edge to break off. Also ease all edges that your body parts might come
in contact with. Ease only edges that are on the outside after
assembly. Don't ease the edge that will be a part of the joint surface.
Some styles of furniture have chamfered edges on all edges, meaning
all edges are given that profile before assembly. Don't do this when
simply easing the edges.

---
protection is active.