Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg Guarino[_2_] Greg Guarino[_2_] is offline

Default Sanding face frames with ROS, right across the joints?

On 6/26/2014 7:36 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

I was amazed at how easy face frames became when my first ROS sanded
right across the corners with no scratches:-)

So, is this the consensus? I can sand over the joints in a face frame
with a random-orbit sander without cross-grain scratches? Is this only
for finer grits?

I can see that the random-orbit action does not obviously favor any
particular direction, so I guess that answers the question. But being a
novice, I have to ask.

While we're at it: what about easing the edges on a face frame? Do you
ease all the edges, thus making a visible line at each joint? Or do you
assemble the face frame and then ease the exposed edges only; leaving
the joint lines flush? (this question has nothing to do with a
random-orbit sander, by the way)

---