Jeremy Hopkins

Default jet mini lathe problem

Thanks for the replies,
I am strongly suspecting a bad spindle,i think the handwheel runout is
coming from the spindle.I tried a new mandrel and it did "orbit", i borrowed
a #2mt drill bit and it "orbited" too! the local jet warranty center is
going to take care of the problem tomorrow.
"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

jeremy wrote:
(clip) would guess around 1/16-1/32 inch on the right end of the shaft and
around 1/8 inch or more on the hand wheel end. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^
Runout in the handwheel may not be important, unless it originates in the
spindle. Your problem could be due to spindle runout. When you refer to
1/16 to 1/32 runout, how are you judging it? I recommend you bring your
toolrest up very close, and turn the lathe slowly by hand.

Another test I would try is to insert the pen mandrel, and leave the
tailstock end free. Turn the lathe by hand, and see whether the free end
"orbits." If it does not, you problem is probably due to excessive
tailstock pressure, as has been suggested by Chuck. If it does, it could

be
a curved mandrel, or a bad spindle. To determine which it is, turn the
mandrel 180 degrees in the spindle, and see whether the runout at the end

of
the mandrel changes sides.

Or, if you have a drill bit with a Morse taper shank, insert that, and see
whether it runs true.