Posted to alt.home.repair
Guv Bob Guv Bob is offline

Default Lawn Aerator

trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, July 18, 2014 4:59:10 PM UTC-4, Brooklyn1 wrote:
"Guv Bob" wrote:

Anybody know where to get an aerator that's basically a 20-gallon
barrel with a row

of aerator tubes fastened around each head? The one I'm looking
for is pulled by hand.

I have too much area to cover for the foot-stomper type, but don't
need to get a

motorized version.

I meant to say.... you fill the barrel up with water. Ends up
weighing around 200 pounds.

I seriously doubt you are physically capable of moving that type of

aerator by hand unless it's always downhill and then it will aerate

you.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...Id=6970&ipp=24

Another difference is that barrel tow type doesn't cut plugs out, it
looks like it just puts blades into the ground. The rental ones
actually cut plugs out. I never paid much attention to how it works,
but presumably there must be something that forces the plug of dirt
out
as it cycles around. You wind up with holes in the turf and plugs
about 3/4" x 2" of soil.

I can't connect to that link for some reason - probably super slow Verizon....

Anyway, I'm thinking about putting something together that will take 1/2 x 4-inch plugs up. I don't know if this is what you mean -- the one plug pushes out the previous plug. I'm only looking for the kind that removes plugs - not spikes.