Posted to alt.home.repair
RobertMacy RobertMacy is offline

Default brass colored stains in lavatory and kitchen

On Sun, 20 Jul 2014 04:19:25 -0700, dadiOH wrote:

"Frank Thompson" wrote in message

Something in the water turning drains & area surrounding drains in sinks
to become stained a brass color. What could it be? Water is from well.

Rust. The dissolved "black iron" in the well water turns to "red iron
(rust") when exposed to oxygen.

Anticipating your next question, any acid will get rid of it. Phosporic
acid is commonly used, generally in CLR or similar ptoducts.

I haven't tried cheap 'pool quality' muriatic acid for this, but used to
use a mild fluoric acid, commerically available under the name Whink.
Flourine based acid is used to etch glass, but Whink is so mild haven't
seen any evidence of being able to do that. I tried, but didn't work.

That acid is a sleeper so neutralize with baking soda when finished. AND
wear gloves. Doesn't hurt your fingers at all, until about an hour later
when the damage under your fingernails becomes noticeably apparent, feels
like your nails are being ripped off, but that feeling only lasts about
half a day.