Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Chevy vehicle question for the motorheads

On Saturday, July 19, 2014 5:46:20 PM UTC-7, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sat, 19 Jul 2014 12:37:09 -0700, Gunner Asch

wrote:

On Sat, 19 Jul 2014 11:58:18 -0700, Gunner Asch

wrote:

On Sat, 19 Jul 2014 07:50:04 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 07/19/2014 1:21 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

The reason he parked it was the missing problem. ...

So did _he_ check the fuel filter???

I dont think so.

My mechanic called a few ago and he is headed over to the vehicle. He

seems to think its a plugged CAT...but will do a back pressure check

etc etc.

Ill know in a couple hours

Just got a call. He claims good fuel pressure, good CAT, but there

may..may be a problem with the crank position sensor. Its giving him

some really odd readings that is requiring him to ponder a bit.

The wiring was not well treated when they swapped out the engine..so

he has to deal with some of that to make sure there not an

intermittent sensor reading.

One of his page frames (computer) claims he was driving at 50 mph and

the engine was putting out 350 rpm..and then another sensor claims it

was putting out 3500 rpm at the same time. Something about reluctor?

rings in the crank position sensor?

The guy is Sharp! and has the latest state of the art test

equipment..so he will figure it out. He says the A/C compressor is

NFG as well. So thats gonna be a couple hundred bucks probably..sigh

Ill keep you posted

Gunner

Got a call a few ago. Got some bad news...sigh. Spark plug wires on

the back of the engine were bleeding spark above a certain rpm. He

sprayed some Krylon on them..the bleeding stopped and he hit 70 mph

with not a hint of a miss. For 10 miles..5 out..5 back

Damnit..now I got to buy a brand new $et of plug wire$...whatever am I

to do???? Whimper!!

He will put on new wires tommorow, he suspects they were not changed

when they installed the replacement engine as they were a bit crisp on

the backside of the engine and they didnt fit the coil pack as well as

they should have. "AC Delco" told him they werent factory originals

so they were changed at one time..but not with good ones. He will

also put in new plugs and a can of Seafoam because the beasty sat for

a year and a half with a full gas tank of California 10% ethanol.

Brrrrrr!!

He wants to drive it for half a week to and from home and around

town...so Ill need to get temporary tags down to him. Best as he can

tell..its a strong engine, with little or no issues other than the

plug wires and the bad AC compressor.

And a bad module in the inside/outside temperature and electronic

compass display.

Id hate to have my wife not know where she was going or what the

inside temp was....brrrrr again.

Gunner

Gunner

--

"Living in the United States now is like being a Tampon.

We're in a great place, just at a bad time."

No doubt Mark Wieber will buy cheap **** wires and plugs instead of quality ones.