Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Axles and tires for power wheelchair

On Fri, 18 Jul 2014 23:15:17 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

wrote in message

stuff snipped

The chair doesn't get a lot of use so I'll take my chances with the
bushings. If they fail, I'll go to plan B. (-: It looks like I can

take a
standard flanged bushing and cut a channel in it with a cut-off tool for

the
key. Since the drive force is mostly routed through the keyed slot I
suspect bushing won't take too bad a hit in this instance.

Thanks for your input!

I've worked on a few where even the original wheels got "hogged out".
The chairs are heavy, and the whole power train is unsprung weight, so
the bumps are taken up by the wheels and axles. I'd be likely to grab
a couple of hubs and bolt on some trailer wheels. Get 3/4" hubs and
bore them to fit broach the keyway, fit it up and then put a couple
tig spots on it for good measure, and bolt on the rims.

Spoken like a man with access to a machine shop! (-: Wish I had access or
even a Unimate mini lathe (which I've wanted since I took my first machine
shop class in 196x.

For most projects the Unimate is too small. I have a Myford Super 7
and it is more often than not too small. and too light for what I'd
LIKE to do. Thankfully a good friend has a 10 inch heavy duty unit
that is available for mr to use when necessary.

The wheels are on their way. Once I get them I'll be able to better assess
the situation. Right now I am hoping the seller measured wrong and they fit
perfectly. If not, I'll find bushings somewhere. This is a very lightly
used unit that mostly runs on paved parking lots and building floors when my
knee's too blown out to walk.

If it was an ATV or even a bariatric wheelchair I'd be in 100% agreement
with you. They take a pounding because of rough terrain in the first
instance and substantial weight in the latter case.

The average chair user is over 200 lbs. So is the average chair
I'm assuming "hogged out" means the hub hole gets worn unevenly and
enlarged. Not a term I've heard before.

You got it. If you are lucky it is only the wheel or hub that wears,
and the axle lives to destroy another wheel. Quite often the keyway
also wears. Then it's time to break out the torch and rebuild it with
brass, and turn it down and re-broach it. Never as good as original,
but usually good for another couple years if done right.

Thanks for your input!