Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Paging a real plumber

In article om,
F Murtz wrote:
The utubes were mainly for your benefit Most other posters realize by
now that Australia and some others silver solder (braze)copper plumbing
and the UK does not much, apparently.

What would be nice to know - and I'm sure we never will - is just why it
seems to be so common in Oz, since soft soldering works perfectly well in
the UK.

Advantages of soft soldering.

1) Soft solder and flux is relatively cheap.
2) The heat source needed is also cheap - a blowlamp capable with coping
with domestic sizes can be bought for a few quid - although pros will
prefer professional types which have lower running costs.
3) A soldered joint can be disassembled if needed - provided the pipes are
dry.

Disadvantages

1) Requires some skill.
2) Materials to be soldered must be clean.

Advantages of brazing.

1) Stronger.

Disadvantages.

1) Cost of tools required. So high might put it outside DIY.
2) Cost of materials.

--
*Born free - taxed to death *

Dave Plowman London SW