Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Chevy vehicle question for the motorheads

On Sat, 19 Jul 2014 00:00:47 -0400, wrote:

On Fri, 18 Jul 2014 13:47:12 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

I gave $100....... yesterday for this vehicle.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...n?noredirect=1

1999 Venture, 3.4L
156,000 miles on the odometer

Engine replaced with second later model engine several months before
it was parked. First engine had infamous lower intake manifold gasket
leak which ultimately, cracked the block when the cam bearings seized.

Any vehicle that can't go over 160000 miles on the original engine is
crap.. Oh yea, you DID say Venture - that's a "small " gM - same as a
TranSport - and the 3.4 is a timebomb. The 3.8 wasn't bad, and the 3.1
was not a great engine, but the 3.4 put a lot of mechanics' kids
through college.

According to an extensive net search..after the 2003 redesign of that
leaking intake manifold gasket..they seem to be going to 250k miles or
more if taken care of without issues.

If it will go a couple years for the ol lady..Ill be happy.

She drives probably 10k a year if that much. Mostly to the store and
to the doctor over in Bakersfield a couple times a month..usually
takes the grandkids along for the ride..and she does our grocery
shopping at the same time.

Assuming that miss is not a big deal of course..Ill have less than
$400 in it tagged and on the road.

Replacement engine had 80k miles on it and came from vehicle totaled
in rear end collision. Unknown year..probably later than 2003..when
Chevy fixed the LIM gasket problem. Probably..maybe.

Idles well, starts easily, runs like a raped ape when you stick your
foot in it...up till about 45 mph..when it starts to miss fire. Back
off the throttle and it goes back to running fine.

Could be as simple as bad plugs. It should throw a code if it
misfires.
Could be a mistimed cam, bad injectors, bad fuel pump, bad cam or
crank sensor, bad air flow meter - just about anything between the
front bumper and the back bumper, and between the right rocker panel
and the left.

Nice!

Any suggestions as to what the problem could be?

There were several problems with this vehicle model..nearly all of
which were the result of a bad lower intake manifold gasket, which
leaked and let the coolant into the oil...usually taking out the cam
bearings etc. I checked the oil multiple times, from before starting
it for the first time..to after it was run around the block
repeatedly..etc..no signs of water noted

It started after sitting for 18 months..on the 3rd rotation of the
engine..which tickled me. (Grin)

I know little about any of the new Chebby vehicles...gonna get a
mechanic to look at it over the weekend...just curious if I did ok..or
is this something to be sold for a couple grand to wetbacks...shrug

I know just enough about them to know I won't buy another one. Was
never a chevy fan. Last decent one I owned was made in 1928. Then I
bought the 1995 TransSport (pontiac nameplate - but still a Chevy) and
I soon remembered why I didn't like (particularly small) Chevies.

Understood. Ive got a 1978 G10 van out back that Im putting back on
the road for a utility vehicle..more on that later.

I REALLY tried to like that van. I even joked about it being my "7
passenger corvette" with the rust-free plastic body. The 3.8 should
have been a killer engine for towing the little trailer I dragged
across the continent with a 3.0 Ford AeroScare - but I never managed
to pull the thing more than 30 miles without the Poncho throwing one
kind of fit or another. It was the first vehicle I've ever gotten rid
of that went straight to the junk-yard - deader than a doornail.
The wife's Saturn has 265,000 miles on it..and while it still runs
"ok" ..all the upholstery and head liner is evaporating here in the
desert sun..so I thought Id get some brownie points by bringing this
home to her..and not hurting the familes finacial situation much.

$100 for the pink slip
$65 for a new battery
$65 for a smog test
$109 for tags.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/1999/...nture/recalls/

Any ideas?

Gunner

Paint it red and put air horns on it.

Why?

--
"Living in the United States now is like being a Tampon.
We're in a great place, just at a bad time."