Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Axles and tires for power wheelchair

"micky" wrote in message

stuff snipped

The chair doesn't get a lot of use so I'll take my chances with the
bushings. If they fail, I'll go to plan B.

Birth control! I don't think that will help in your situation.

Arf, arf!

If bushing isn't exactly the word you want, call a real machine shop and
ask them. Call 60 to 30 minutes before they close. That's when they
may have finished their work for the day and have time to talk, although
maybe that's more for office people.

I've gotten some pretty good leads on what I need. Today I found out the
wheels are split-rims. That means I can transfer the tires from the new
(possibly oversize) rims to the old ones without having to torture my
arthritic hands dismounting a tire from the rim. I can remember doing that
with full size tires before I saw how easy it was for a tire shop to do with
their special machine with the rotating bar. I never did it by hand again
after that!

If there's any lesson I learned from AHR and elsewhere it's that the right
tool for the job is VERY important and many times it pays to rent something
(like a ditch witch) rather than spend hours (days, weeks?) fussing with a
post hole digger to run an underground wire.

My Harbor Freight multifunction tool was bought AFTER I stripped about 100
sq ft of glued down linoleum with a hand scraper. Boy was that a lesson in
having the right tool. BTW, today I got a really nice Pittsburgh 25' tape
measure free with coupon. Much better than the crappy flashlight or the
Centek meters that read high, low and who knows?

So any potential solutions will wait until I can inspect the merchandise.
The USPS says "shipping information has been received" - let's see a) when
the seller actually gets it to the post office and b) when it gets here.

Ironically I was concerned about flats. The current tires have tubes and
one has an as-yet unfound slow leak that started this process. I hadn't
needed to use the scooter for a few months and when I rolled it out of the
van, I heard the familiar thwup, thwup of a flat tire. I had to walk on my
very bum knee to the X-ray center.

I decided then that I wanted to have a spare wheel with tire that I could
carry on the scooter. Then I realized with foam filled tires (the new ones)
I don't NEED a spare because they can't go flat. Ah, old age, where
thinking things through becomes more and more challenging. So if the new
rims don't fit, I'll take the old, worn tube tires off and put the new foam
filled tires on the old rims and sell or junk the rims that are coming with
the new tires. All predicated on the tires being dismountable. They could
be glued onto the rims or not fit the old rims. It's always something.

Now the problem shifts to the nose wheel of the scooter which is a different
size and is actually the most likely to get a flat because it's the leading
wheel. I have been wondering if I can fill it with "fix a flat" goo and
turn it into a foam-filled tire.

--
Bobby G.