nestork nestork is offline
Senior Member

My experience is that newer cars don't seem to have their wheel alignment go out the way older cars did. I used to have a 1973 Plymouth Satellite, and the alignment on that car would never be quite right. I would always have to be steering one way to keep the car going straight, and I'd never buy new tires for it because it would chew them up on the front.

Now, I've been driving a 92 Chevy Cavalier for the past 10 years at least, and I've never had any problem with the wheel alignment. I really don't know why it hasn't been a problem, but I suspect it has something to do with the fact that cars nowadays are much lighter than they were in the 50's, 60's and 70's and so there isn't as much wear on the steering components. And, nowadays all the joints are permanently lubricated whereas on older cars you had to grease those joints with grease nipples, and they were always an ongoing problem.

I'd be suspicious of any place that offered a free check of anything because I'd be concerned that it's just there way of finding problems to repair. And, I agree that if the alignment is fine with the new tires, it's not going to go out in a few weeks time.