Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Pipe cutting wheels

fired this volley in
:

You have hit the core of the problem which is the deformation of a
thin-walled conduit while cutting. Following on from your thoughts I
suspect I should get much better results even using a hand cutter if I
put a mandrel through the conduit first. Maybe even a wooden one.

ALWAYS use a close-fitting mandrel when cutting thinwall _anything_.

'Rule of thumb'

Besides, do you want to then have to chamfer the i.d.? I use the
closest-fit I can get, and hard enough material so that the pipe cutter
won't cut into the mandrel. I can always re-sharpen the wheel, but
sometimes it's tough to get a short piece of tubing off a mandrel where
the tube has been swaged into the groove in the mandrel.

LLoyd