Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Paging a real plumber

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 18/07/2014 10:34, F Murtz wrote:
snip

It seem that maybee the UK does not which seem strange to me as this
method is the most permanent and safest.
If I had joints in concrete or walls or floors or anywhere inaccessible
I would much rather them silver soldered with (copper silver phosphor
alloy)(melting point red)than any form of soft solder

Why ?. Most houses built in the 60's and 70's (like mine) have solid
floors. On top of the construction slab the 3/4 inch screwed iron gas line
for the baxi bermuda back boiler and kitchen was laid, and also the 15 and
22 mm copper central heating runs. These were 'soft' lead soldered (using
cheaper gas and equipment), wrapped with felt stuff, and then the 80 mm of
screed laid over the top. Provided the copper is isolated from anything
cementitious or gypsum based, it is remarkably self-protecting. High
temperature brazing of copper (which I believe requires a special grade of
copper pipe = more expensive) is only used in the refridgeration industry.
Horses for courses. And these days it is all dumbed down and replaced by
push-fit barrier plastic.

Unless you were unlucky to have poor quality copper pipe which pin-holed
(common during the 70's copper boom) this will last the life of the
building - typically 80 years. My house is 38 years old. The lead-soldered
copper pipework is in perfect condition.

The important thing was to clean off the acidic flux which many lazy
'Can't get me I'm in the union' types didn't bother. Same goes for
flushing before adding inhibitor.

Are australian houses (other than in Melbourne and Hobart) built with
central heating ?.

Yes.

Why would you need it in Brisbane or Cairns ?.

It gets cold enough in winter in Brizvegas to need heating.

And there are plenty of places like Canberra
that get a lot colder than Melburg too.