Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default What tools can I use to sharpen these kitchen knives?

"Danny D." wrote in message

What tools can I use to sharpen these kitchen knives?
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3893/1...c9d71925_c.jpg

I have never sharpened a knife before, but I have a few
rather old tools I got from somewhere ages ago which
I think, are intended for sharpening things:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5596/1...85a1af1a_b.jpg

I don't have a bench grinder, nor any fancy knife-sharpening
tools (I had never needed them before); but can't I sharpen
those three kitchen knivdes with these existing tools?

How do I use that cylindrical slotted thing, for example?

You can sharpen a knife with anything that will abrade steel. Main thing
is to maintain the same angle while you are sharpening...if you wobble the
sharpener around you won't have much luck.

The honing steel is used by moving the knife as if you were trying to cut
the honing steel...sort of slicing toward the handle while also moving the
knife from heel to toe. They are really meant to be used to freshen an
edge rather than extensive sharpening. They also work best with a rather
soft steel such as that in the knives used by pro butchers.

Sharpeners like this...
http://obsoproject.wordpress.com/201...ife-sharpener/

are easy to use: insert knife blade heel in the "V" groove between the two
sets of steel wheels and pull with moderate downward pressure; repeat
until sharp. They are also cheap and last forever. Most will pooh-pooh
them because you can get a better edge in other ways.

As Oren said, don't mess with the serrated edge.

--

dadiOH