Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default grounding lightbulbs, fuses and other parts

On Wed, 16 Jul 2014 19:51:00 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader

This is the only website that I saw regarding "grounded lightbulbs".

I know its tacky, but if a contractor even asks about grounding lightbulbs and fuses, what would any of you say?

"do your job right and make sure fixtures are grounded".

It doesn't mean you need a ground wire, conduit and metallic whips are
good enough at least here in Chicago where we have strict (and good)
electrical codes. Garbage like stapled down romex and plastic boxes are
not allowed here. I'm not sure why they're allowed anywhere.

Whats wrong with plastic boxes..both the gray type and the Carlon
type?

Ive been doing a job for the past 8 days..transforming a large machine
shop to an upholstery shop. After the walls were framed for the
offices and store rooms..I ran Carlon conduit and boxes and then ran
everything to the existing metallic bus tray and then wired all the
variouis circuits back to the breaker panels. Inspectors were very
happy with the work and the client was tickled that it went so quickly
and well.

One simply has to make sure that the grounding tabs on each outlet and
switch (on some 3 way switches) is properly connected to the green
wire and then run back to the panels in good order.

The lighting in the office was also run in Carlon, the (19) 8 foot
florescent fixtures were run in metallic conduit (existing) and
duplex recepticals installed..and the lights simply plugged into them

Inspectors were happy. Shrug

What took the longest was getting all the compressed air to the
various assembly stages after the compressor room had been framed.
Fortunately..all that main air busway Id installed 8 yrs ago had Ts in
the right places and it was simply a matter of removing the plugs and
running new 1/2" joints, hanging them properly and terminating them in
fittings suitable for attaching QD air fittings.

Gunner

--
"Living in the United States now is like being a Tampon.
We're in a great place, just at a bad time."