Posted to uk.d-i-y
F Murtz F Murtz is offline

Default Paging a real plumber

John Rumm wrote:
On 18/07/2014 10:13, F Murtz wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:

"Lead free solder" should be used on potable water supplies. Gas,
heating etc I don't think is specified.

I looked on the BES website to see what solders they sell

http://www.bes.co.uk/products/212.asp

the lead free solders required for potable water are to

BS 219 grade 99C
BS EN 29453 alloy #23
BS EN ISO 9453:2006 alloy #401

depending how historic or up to date you want to be

The BSOL site requires silverlight which I normally have disabled, I did
enable it to try to view the ISO version, but silverlight crashed, so I
looked at the Johnson Matthey product spec instead

http://www.jm-metaljoining.com/pdfs-products/Copper-Tin%20solders.pdf

The everyday lead-free solder is 99% tin, 1% copper.

The thing is that the soft solder discussion has been introduced by
others my discussion was about what we and the makers, suppliers
Australian users call silver solder

We understand what you mean (i.e. what we would call brazing or hard
soldering), but were just highlighting that for plumbing, lead free soft
solder is the norm here.

You may know what I mean and most others may know . but one did not or
this discussion would not be going on.