Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard[_10_] Richard[_10_] is offline

Default Paging a real plumber

"Rod Speed" wrote in message ...

Robin wrote

In Australia silver solder is specified in new buildings

(units, flats,domestic complexes, high rises, industrial) for copper pipe
(mostly 5% sometimes 2%

Playing safe as there are some water supplies in ANZ which attack soft
solder?

Nope.

UK water supplies are less aggressive

Bull****. The water is in fact a lot harder in quite a bit of Britain.

Oh ****. Rod is here now.

For anyone interested in antipodean plumbing:
http://www.kembla.com/assets/Uploads...s-Handbook.pdf

Also see this from:
https://law.resource.org/pub/nz/ibr/...00.5.2000.html
2.6 JOINTING

2.6.1 Silver brazing alloy

2.6.1.1 Copper and copper alloys

Silver brazing alloys for capillary jointing of copper and copper alloy
pipes and fittings shall comply with AS 1167.1 and shall contain a minimum
of 1.8% silver and shall a maximum of 0.05% cadmium.
2.6.1.2 Stainless steel pipes

Silver brazing alloys for capillary jointing of stainless steel pipes and
fittings shall comply with AS 1167.1 and shall contain a minimum of 38%
silver and a maximum of 0.05% cadmium.
2.6.2 Soft solders

The following limitations shall apply to the use of soft solder:
Soft solder shall not contain more than 0.1% lead by weight.
Soft solder shall only be used for jointing copper or copper alloy pipes to
capillary fittings of the long engagement type complying with AS 3688.
Soft solder shall not be used with coiled annealed pipes.
NOTE: In certain areas, soft-soldered joints may not be suitable due to the
chemical composition of the water and, hence, their use may not be
permitted.
/q

And, no I'm not a real plumber even though I don't wear a tie.