moggy

Default Delta lathe tailstock chuck issue

sorry, what is a quill?,

no the chuck is round for most of its length, then at the end is changes to
a square. The square if I remember correctly is the sam diameter diagonally
as the round bit. I cant seen anything at all that you could seat it into.

"George" wrote in message
Square end, as in a taper with a couple of flats? That's fairly normal
with self-ejecting tapers. Make sure you crank the tailstock quill

forward
a bit so the taper will seat properly. Advance it until you feel it seat,
then a quarter turn. It may mean, as it does on mine, that you can't

begin
drilling at the zero mark, but you want to make sure the taper is seated
properly to center, and the quill tightened to reduce gratuitous movement.
To remove, all you have to do is crank the stock back, and it will eject.

"moggy" wrote in message
I bought a second hand delta lathe (the sort on legs). The seller also
included a tailstock chuck. I have attempted to use this a couple of

times
and failed miserably. The chuck has a square end. The delta lathe

tailstock
is round with no square to slot the chuck into. As a consequence it

spins
freely. They guy I bought it from had definitely used it with this

lathe,
so
I am wondering what I am missing. How do I keep the chuck stationary.

Kat

---

---