Posted to alt.home.repair
harry k harry k is offline

Default First fence post as a bench marker

On Thursday, July 17, 2014 8:25:01 AM UTC-7, Terry Coombs wrote:
Harry K wrote:

On Thursday, July 17, 2014 5:40:05 AM UTC-7, Terry Coombs wrote:

Harry K wrote:

On Wednesday, July 16, 2014 10:38:38 AM UTC-7, Terry Coombs wrote:

snip

You owe me an apology .

No I don't. You could at least attempt to show how you are setting

your line posts if you haven't set the end posts first. I do not

know of, or seen ANYONE using pegs to set line posts. They set the

end posts, wrap line around one, stretch to the other tightly and

then set the line posts against the string.

I currently have runs of over 300 ft with RR ties set every 9'.

Sigth down the line and all you see is one post.

Harry K

Well goody goody for you . What does it matter if the guide string

I'm using is tied to a peg or a post at either end ? If the string

is tight , and the posts all touch it on one side , and you plumb

them as you set , they're gonna be in a straight line - which is the

objective isn't it ? The last fence I built was just over 80 feet

, stepped down twice to follow the terrain , used round steel posts

customer's design and is clad with rough cut cedar on both sides .

Same as you , looking down the fence it's as straight as , well , a

string . And when it was finished the customer gave me a 100 bucks

bonus because it looked so good . Just because my way isn't your

way doesn't make my way wrong

snip

The point you keep missing is that fooling around with pegs is

unneccesary and extra work. Why anyone wouild do it is beyond me.

Perhaps needed going over terrain changes but definitely not when

both ends are visible.

Harry K

Ahh , but it's a more efficient use of my time to drive a couple of pegs

and commence to settin' posts than to set a pair of posts , wait a day or

two for concrete to set up and return to the job to set the rest . I've also

used existing fencing to establish my end points and line , whatever works

and every job is different . Time is money , and if I can set them all in

one day instead of having to come back , I'm ahead .

--

Snag

Yep. Never one solution for everything. And yes, I do apologize.

Harry K