Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default squealing brakes

On Thu, 17 Jul 2014 18:05:22 +0000 (UTC), "badgolferman"
wrote:

It's home repair because I plan on fixing this at home....

My son's 2002 Ford Escort makes a squealing noise when he comes to a
complete stop, regardless of how long he's been driving the vehicle.

I've had it checked out by local garages and they say the brakes are
fine, but I doubt they dissasembled the brakes. Is this something
caused by glazing of the pads? Is the cure to replace the pads or
something else?

I can't tell if it's coming from the front or back. It's got drum

Stand in one spot and have your son drive circles around you, until you
figure out if it's front or back. Or vice versa.

brakes in the back and I don't want to mess with those.

They are a little more complcated, but people fiddled with them for
decades. Just put them back the way you found them, not like me, who
put them back togerher in the wrong order or left a cable on top of
something it should be under. I drove for 6 months wondering why they
weren't as powerful as they used to be, thought they still worked.
Maybe I should have written down every step when I removed a part.