Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Axles and tires for power wheelchair

wrote in message

But what's wrong with finding the right wheel? The bushings generally
wear quickly when pounded around on a power chair

Wheels. It's cost. I got some new foam filled tires and rims for less than
1/5 the price of just new tires ones on Ebay. Factory original equipment
for these items are outrageously priced because as "durable medical
equipment" the list price is set super high to accommodate all the discounts
they give to various insurers.

The chair doesn't get a lot of use so I'll take my chances with the
bushings. If they fail, I'll go to plan B. (-: It looks like I can take a
standard flanged bushing and cut a channel in it with a cut-off tool for the
key. Since the drive force is mostly routed through the keyed slot I
suspect bushing won't take too bad a hit in this instance.

Thanks for your input!

--
Bobby G.